What is a Customs Broker?

A Customs Broker is a highly trained professional specialising in International Trade. The Customs Broker is licensed and must possess thorough knowledge of tariff schedules and Customs’ regulations and keep abreast of any amendments or additions made through constant changes in the law and administrative regulations.
The Customs Broker’s licence is applicable on a nationwide basis.

What does a Customs Broker do?

The Custom Broker must be well versed in determining proper classifications and dutiable value.
Customs regulations are constantly changing and so interpreting the regulations and classifying the commodities being entered requires that the Broker update and maintain knowledge of the regulations on a myriad of subjects.

Why use a Customs Broker?

Your Customs Broker handles the details of entering your goods into Australia and is involved with Customs on a daily basis. Familiarity with your goods is built and many problems can be identified before they have a chance to occur, thus saving time and possible extra costs.
We can help clients choose transport of goods from origin to your door and provide ongoing consultation to improve and simplify your importing program. As your Customs Broker becomes more familiar with your business, you will find that the Broker becomes a very vital link within your business.

When is the best time to talk to your Customs Broker?

BEFORE your shipment arrives or before your first entry.

Clearance of my merchandise: What do I need?

  • Commercial Invoice – which describes the product, terms of sale, purchase price. The name of the seller and the buyer and the currency of purchase should be clearly stated. If your Broker cannot get enough information to substantiate a lower duty rate, the Broker is required to use the higher classification, hence the importance of providing enough information to handle you import properly and to your best advantage.
  • Bill of Lading or Air Waybill – this is the transport document that covers the movement of goods from origin to the port of entry.
  • Packing Declaration – declaration issued by the packer or supplier of goods declaring the actual packaging of your goods.
  • FTA certificate – if goods originating from country which ahs Free Trade Agreement with Australia.
  • Fumigation Certificate — if goods or packaging have been fumigated and must be from an Australian approved fumigation facility.
  • Manufacturer’s Declaration – required for all food items.
  • How long does it take? – after the first few entries where Customs may take a little extra time to become familiar with your company and your imported goods, clearance time will be very short.
  • Your co-operation – your Customs Broker is a professional who wants to do the best job for a client. In order for this to happen, the client should work closely with the Broker in supplying needed documentation/information , paying duties on time and generally including your Customs Broker as part of your team. Your Broker relies on the information that you provide in order to become a very valuable member of your team.

Why should I consider using Kenealy Customs Brokers?

  • We are good at what we do.
  • We’ve been doing it for quite a while.
  • Our clients like us and will tell you so.
  • We have a worldwide net of forwarding agents so that your shipments are controlled.
  • We want your business and are willing to work to keep it.